One person was killed and three were wounded in Friday's attack at a school in Fagersta, in central Sweden, and an 18-year-old man has been detained. Police are investigating the motive and have not announced one.

newsparlor published a short account of this attack earlier on Friday, while the casualty figures were unconfirmed. This piece carries the confirmed toll. As before, everything below is attributed to the reporting that established it, and there remains a good deal that Swedish authorities have not made public.

What has been confirmed

The dead and the wounded have not been identified, and their ages and conditions have not been released. Police have not said whether they were students or staff.

The school is Brinellskolan, in a town of roughly 12,000 people. It has around 450 students aged between 16 and 20, which makes it an upper secondary school, so those inside were teenagers and young adults rather than young children.

Police were called early on Friday afternoon. A spokesman, Pelle Vamstad, said an alarm was received and officers went to the scene, responding to what the force described as a report of ongoing deadly violence at a school in Fagersta. Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson said that "we do not yet know what lies behind the act, but we know that the police are working very intensively".

Reporting has described the weapon as a sword. That description has been consistent across the day, though no official confirmation of the weapon type was available.

What remains unknown

The identity and any connection of the detained man to the school. Whether anyone else was involved. How the attacker got in. What, if anything, preceded it.

A large amount of detail has circulated on social media over the course of the evening, including claims about the suspect's background and about material he is said to have posted before the attack. None of it has been confirmed by Swedish police, and newsparlor is not publishing it. In the hours after an attack, unverified specifics about a suspect spread faster than any police investigation can move, and a proportion of them are always wrong.

Sweden and school attacks

This is not the first such attack in Sweden in recent years, and the country has been debating school security since a mass shooting at an adult education centre in Orebro in 2025 killed ten people. That debate has covered entry controls, the availability of weapons and the mental health services available to young people.

It is too early to say whether Friday's attack belongs in that conversation, and it would be wrong to assume it does before police say anything about who the suspect is or why they believe he acted. What can be said is that the confirmed figures are one dead and three wounded, a young man is in custody, and Swedish authorities are expected to say more.